We have returned from a very wonderful and very busy trip to San Francisco! I don’t know how we managed to squeeze all we did into 3 days. Photos to come (once I actually get around to editing them and not just crashing with exhaustion after I get home from work…)
Upon returning from our trip, our muffin stash in the freezer was depleted, and after eating a lot of junk food and basically just a lot of food in general in San Francisco, I wanted a healthy muffin. Unfortunately sometimes healthy means dry and flavourless, but this recipe for Healthy Apple Oatmeal Muffins doesn’t compromise on either – these muffins are full of whole grains, no butter, and are packed with tons of apples. J gave them the man seal of approval – there’s nothing worse to him than a dry muffin!
You should definitely stash a batch of these in your freezer to grab for quick breakfasts! They taste wonderfully heated up in the microwave and spread with a little square of butter.
- 1 1/4 cups flour (I used white, but you could easily use whole wheat to make them extra healthy!)
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (see note)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 medium apple, chopped into small pieces
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, coconut, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger.
- In a medium size bowl, combine applesauce, buttermilk, brown sugar, coconut oil, egg, and apple pieces.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners or grease with butter or non-stick cooking spray. Spoon muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes at 375 degrees, until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- To make your own buttermilk, measure out 1/2 cup milk, then mix in 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice or white vinegar. Let stand on the counter for 5-10 minutes before using.