This Creamy Butter Lettuce Salad is wonderfully light and simple – perfect to bring in the new year. I don’t know about you, but I’ve eaten my share of sweets over the holidays!
J and I served this salad as part of my mom’s birthday dinner over the holidays – we treated her to a homemade dinner where she didn’t have to lift a finger! It was J and my first time cooking dinner for 11 people, and it went off without a hitch! This Simple Creamy Butter Lettuce salad was an easy contributor to the success of the meal – it pairs well with just about any dish! We served it with Chicken Marbella and Roasted Maple Carrots (recipes to come!).
I hope all your Christmases were lovely! Thank you for all the love and support in 2014 – I can’t wait to ring in 2015! J also turns 30 on Dec 31, so it’s going to be an extra fun one!
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/8 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup canola oil (you could also use extra virgin olive oil, but be sure it's one with a mild flavour)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 heads butter lettuce
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- In a food processor or blender, add the egg yolk, mustard, basil, and vinegar and puree. Slowly add 1/8 cups of the canola oil, blending between each addition. Add the buttermilk and mix it in.
- Wash and drain the butter lettuce. You can either leave the lettuce leaves whole, but I like to tear them into bite-size pieces. In a large bowl, toss the lettuce with the dressing and toasted pine nuts. Serve.