I received 5 new cookbooks for Christmas and I’ve been devouring them like a delicious feast, reading and sticky tagging so many recipes. I can’t wait to get into the kitchen and start cooking them all! However, we’ve had a unexpectedly stressful start to our new year, which, without going into any detail, has suddenly resulted with my step-daughter living with us for a full 3 weeks.
So instead of lingering over a glass of wine and slowly cooking new recipes for dinner together with J after work, we are in full-on parent mode – which means quick kid-friendly dinners that can be ready before 6:00pm. We’ve been eating a lot of quesedillas, homemade pizza, pasta, Greek chicken wraps – anything that can come together quickly!
Another kid-friendly food? Cookies. And so I whipped up these Double Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookies for a lunchbox treat. These cookies are extra peanut buttery with peanut butter chips in addition to the peanut buttery batter (because what’s better than peanut butter?!). And peanut butter and chocolate were made for each other, so there’s that.
And those new cookbooks will just have to wait. I’ll just keep undressing them with my eyes until I can dive in ;). New on my cookbook shelf:
- The Dirty Apron
- Whitewater Cooks with Passion
- At Home in the Whole Foods Kitchen: Celebrating the Art of Eating Well
- Green Kitchen Travels: Healthy Vegetarian Food Inspired by Our Adventures
- Flour + Water: Pasta (I actually gifted this one to J!)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup crunchy unsweetened peanut butter (use creamy if you'd prefer)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter. Add peanut butter and mix until incorporated, then add both sugars and mix until creamy. Add egg and beat until batter is smooth.
- Add flour and baking soda and stir gently until well-combined. Stir in peanut butter chips and chocolate chips.
- Drop by small spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Be warned - they do spread! My cookies ended up being larger than I wanted them to be! Press the tops of each cookie ball with a fork, if you wish.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes, until cookies are firm around the edges and still soft in the middle. This will make for a delicious, soft cookie!
- Cool on wire racks.