Watermelon salad is so simple – it requires 5 ingredients, one of which you probably already have in your garden (fresh mint). Large chunks of watermelon are tossed with feta cheese and sliced fresh mint, and dressed with a homemade balsamic vinaigrette (calling it a ‘dressing’ is generous – it’s just balsamic vinegar shaken with olive oil!).
Juicy watermelon is the prominent flavour in this salad – its high water content makes the salad so refreshing on a hot summer day. It’s great served alongside grilled chicken (or other meat of choice!), and is special enough to bring to a BBQ party.
Happy 4th of July weekend to my American friends – here in Canada we celebrated Canada Day on July 1, but unlucky for us it was on a Wednesday this year, so my day off from work was right in the middle of the week! We still made it count and went sailing with some friends. This weekend we are going camping, and I’ll be bringing the other half of this watermelon with me!
Let me know if you make Watermelon salad and what you think!
- Watermelon chunks, enough for one bowl
- Fresh mint sprigs
- Feta cheese (approx 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Cut watermelon into chunks and place in bowl. Chop fresh mint leaves and feta cheese and add to bowl.
- In a small mason jar or equivalent, add olive oil and balsamic vinegar and shake to combine. Drizzle dressing to taste over watermelon salad. Toss.
- Season with freshly ground salt and pepper.
- Feel free to add as much or as little of the balsamic vinaigrette as you like. The dressing quantities may need to be adjusted depending on how much watermelon you're eating!