Happy Labour Day! I am just loving this three-day weekend – if only all weekends could be this way! The weekend has been a perfect mix of errands and fun and blogging and delicious food. Last night, J and I made our first roast chicken of the season (eeek, is it Fall already?!) and with it, sipped one of our favourite local red wines (Orofino Red Bridge Red) – it was heavenly. One day I will post our roast chicken recipe, but before I get too caught up thinking about the delicious food that went into my belly last night…
Beets! Beets are one of our favourite things to grow in our garden. They flourish in our pacific northwest climate – in fact, they taste even better when the weather is milder. (I wish I could say the same for our tomato plants!) Beets are easy to grow in container pots, and keep for ages in the fridge, so you’re not pressured to eat them quickly. (We learned this lesson the hard way after growing way too much lettuce than we could ever eat!)
Roasting beets is simple – all it takes is a little time. Wash your beets, cut the tops and bottoms off, and then wrap each beet individually in tinfoil – skins on. Roasting time will vary depending on the size of your beets, but approximately 45 mins – 1 hour at 375F degrees should do it. Once the beets have cooled, the skin will slide off easily using your fingers or the side of a fork. Roasting beets enhances their natural sweetness and keeps them moist and flavourful.
This simple roasted beet salad is inspired by my future mother-in-law – who is a fantastic cook – and who served us a similar salad at a recent family dinner. Roasted beets are tossed with feta cheese and chopped fresh mint, and dressed with a simple mixture of lemon juice, olive oil, and chopped fresh chives.
And now – I get to eat the leftovers for lunch!
- 5 medium-large beets
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh mint leaves, chopped
- a handful of fresh chives, chopped
- lemon juice
- olive oil
- freshly ground salt and pepper
- To roast the beets: Wash beets, then cut off the tops and bottoms. Place each beet individually in tin foil and wrap up. Place tinfoil packets on a cookie sheet and roast for 45 mins - 1 hour in a 375F degree oven. Once cool enough to handle, skin the beets using your fingers or the edge of a fork. Chop into bite-size pieces.
- To assemble the salad: In a salad bowl, toss beets with feta cheese and mint. Dress with a squeeze of lemon juice, a drizzle of olive oil, and freshly ground salt and pepper. Serve.
- Serves 2-4 depending on portion size.